Thursday, November 03, 2011

weekend in the Catskills/walks/collar bone etchings

here's a brief (not really) summary of how I was first introduced to what has become one of my favorite destinations, the Catskills. Many moons ago, Chris, Jim and I went in search of a pool in the woods outside Albany. after Dave and I had been led on a wild goose about 2 hours in the totally opposite direction on a previous attempt, I finally got in touch with a guy who hooked me up with the proper info. Chris and I set out about 4am from his mom's house, met Jim at his house and then headed north. We followed the directions and found the pool easily but unfortunately the deep end was filled. We debated going back into town and renting a generator and a pump but after considering the time and effort it would involve we just skated the shallow end. here are some of Chris's pics from that day.


the shallow was super steep so trick selection was limited (ie: carves)


it was a beautiful fall day but since a session of kickturns and slashes can only captivate the senses for so much time, we decided to chalk to pool up as a loss (for the day) and head out to explore the area. chris or jim remembered seeing a sign for some waterfalls on the way up so we decided to check it out on our way south. long story short (too late for that), we spent the rest of the day screwing around at Kaaterskill Falls. (next 2 pics are also Chris's)

it was gnarly cuz there was a crust of ice covering almost everything in the woods so the approach to get "under" the falls was super sketchy. it's steep to begin with and everything being iced over made it even sketchier.


Here's Jim and I "under" the first tier.

I've returned to the region on a few occasions since then and always had a blast camping, skating and exploring. So recently when planning for a camping trip to the Adirondack Mountains with the usual camp crew (Brian, Matt, Chris and I) suddenly hit a snag, the Catskills seemed like a no brainer to keep things a little more local and simpler. Chris and I stayed at my parent's house Friday night to get an early start Saturday morning. More than a few people have told me I look younger since I shaved but I just don't see it.


"Good night"

we left Matt's house before 6 and were lacing up our boots before 9:30. Harley was ready to hike

Matt jumps ship, while I spot wildlife and Chris memorizes the map. We decided on the Blackhead/Black Dome loop as the route for day 1.

I always register as Pierre from Ardmore. (That's Chris's alter ego of a French guide that he becomes as soon as we start any hike in the woods)

due to his condition, he was stoked to come across a courtesy stash of walking sticks at the trailhead


3 minutes into the hike, as you can see, he was feeling fine. judging by the scream we heard a minute later, it became a different story.


started getting steep

Harley always made sure everyone made it up the scrambles

according to the map we were supposed to look at stuff here



hoping to see Matt's angle of this one on xcrament.com




Being the lensman that he is, Matt captured me in a moment of deep thought. I've always done my best thinking in the woods and I was no doubt lost in a memory of simpler times, some moment from the past which shaped who I am today.

Pierre self portrait

wrong turn

I always take about 4 times as much food as I need. It's snacks for days whenever I shop for a camping trip.

lunch bunch shot

Looking up towards Blackdome Mountain

looking back towards Black Head Mountain. (where we ate lunch)



after a quick stop at the Price Chopper back in town it was time to eat!



finally got to put the birthday present to work. works great.

early the next morning we were off to check the falls. we interrupted these two little buddies eating breakfast.


top of the falls

Pierre says "Subitement, la beauté est allé"



we call these "Pearl Jam cover shots"

Chris can slip in to calendar shoot mode at any moment

who am I to deny my true calling?


you got it bro!

metatarsal check up at the skate park. not looking good.

Captain Pank salutes his shorts at the lighthouse


then my camera took a tumble off a table trying to snap a pic of what turned out to be a total waste of megapixels anyway. i should have taken a photo with my phone but basically it looked like this. RIP digital Hoot. through snow, wind, sand and rain, you have served me well. I had to break out the "real" camera and cast my memories back 17 years to Moxey's Photo 1 class in order to continue the Pearl Jam cover shoot.

a hearty Ahoy! can really carry from the North Point


final fire of the weekend. great trip.

walks in the woods





training begins

the Age of Quarrel has yet to steer me wrong




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home